Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dynamics

It's amazing to think about our lives and to understand that our existance is truly dynamic! It may be amazingly obvious, but life is designed to be shared. Think about living in isolation...what do you have to live for? I am starting to think that rather than living our lives for ourselves and our own success, gain or happiness; we essentially live them for other people, regardless of wether or not we are aware of this ideal. Not just anyone, but for those few people that have entered our lives that for whatever reason you have connected with...those you have allowed to enter the sandy waters of your very being (however you might define that). More than just a causal acceptance or connection, these individuals have entered the depths of our hearts, shared our dreams and loved us no matter the cost. If you're lucky you can count those people on one hand, and evenmore so if you can fill both hands with names. A good friend of mine consistantly says that he has never been lucky in terms of winning prizes, or by having everything go his way, or even by making loads of money; but he has had resounding luck when it comes to the people that he meets. It's not that he's met celebrities or famous thinkers, athletes, or millionaires; but generally average people who break the mold and make his world a better place to be: above average.

I think this is why we each long to have at least one person in our lives that we committ to. So that without a doubt, there is at least one, sole person who can always be counted upon to share experiences with. Life isn't quite as complicated as it might seem when you evaluate the idea that there is someone else along side of you that understands, sees things similar to the way you do, or that quite frankly gives a shit. I reconize that this thought might seem a tad pesimestic, but hear me out. There are several types of people who will enter our lives: acquiantances, family members, teachers, mentors, friends, children, managers, co-workers, customer service representatives, waitresses, passerby's....the list could continue for days. From mere people passing paths, to the best of friends, each person has the potential to have an impact on our lives. For instance: on my drive to school this morning another driver on the road actually apologized for failing to let me into the next lane regardless of the fact that my blinker had been on and he had appeared to be leaving a place open for me. It turns out he must have gotten distracted while driving and did not realize that I was trying to get to the next lane. After he switched changed lanes and met up with me so that I was able to look out my left window and take a peak at the "idiot driver" (insert road rage here) I glanced over to see the face of the inconsiderate, good for nothing looser, and as I caught his face he mouthed the words, I'm sorry. I was so prepared to give him the death look and stare him down to make sure he knew just how disgusted I was by him, when my expectations were shattered, and I forced to forfeit my ascribed anticipations for our encounter, my face returned to a much more pleasant disposition and I was drawn to smile and nod in acceptance of his appology. He appologized? Can you beleive it? Any other time I would have gotten flipped off, disregarded, ignored, and possibly cut off.

Anyone can impant another individual's life but I feel those that make the most significant impacts are the people for which we live. To know that I can be helped and help in return with no questions asked, no begging or pleading required is a remarkable feeling. Love is an expectional value and (not to sound like a Miss America pagent) but if we express rather than repress the feelings that we have towads one another and simply share our human experience in an open and honest way, wouldn't this be a better place to live?

Moral of the story: People have every opportunity to break expecatations, and we should all be prepared to have our expectations exceeded.

No comments: