Monday, March 10, 2008

Plans...

Today I caught up with a friend that I met a few semesters ago in my English class, and we had a great time simply talking about life! It's interesting to me how easy it is to connect with some people, even though you don't see them on any sort of regular basis. I guess some people are just compatible like that!

We talked about anything and everything but one of my favorite topics we touched on was about the irony in life and trying to plan... It's ironic to think about how most of the time there is truly no sense in making plans because ultimately they are bound to change! It's so true, isn't it? Nothing in my life is how I invisioned it would have been 3 or 4 or 10 years ago. There are no plans that I can make that are gauaranteed to happen. In a way this is kind of exciting and a little bit thrilling because this creates the mystery that makes life fun.

My friend talked about one of her art projects where she had to start with a giant block of plaster/clay and chip away at it creating a work of art that did not resemble any object. The requirements were that at least 50% of the original block had to be extracted, and the object must have at least 3 different textures. As they worked on the project more and more, each person in the class began to create something entirely different than anyone else sitting around them. She talked about how at certain points in the project either she or one of her classmates would begin to chip away at their creation and something unexpected would happen. Either a tool would slip, the plaster was too weak and shattered, someone bumped into them in the middle of making a new adjustment, etc. At first the mistakes or unexpected changes were a nuicance and source of frustration, but as the artist continued to remold and adjust their plaster those nuicances became the best part of their creation. The most interesting or beautiful part of the project. The beauty was in the unexcpected.

It seems like a cheesy metaphor, but honestly if life can be viewed like one of those blocks of plaster then is it possible that there is beauty in the unexpected? Do the frustrations in life and the hard situations we experience have the potential to create something spectacular? I hope so...I really really hope so. Because isn't it those very things that make us stronger, aren't some of life's surprises the most fun? This silly example of the unpredicatability of life gave me peace today. I can't plan the future, and I have no clue what the future holds for me...but living day by day and enjoying the ride...it's then that I can look and see a masterpiece being created.

I don't think life is intended to be mapped out...but the roads we travel capture the good, the bad, the beautiful, the ugly...everything really, and ultimately each road brings us a little bit closer to our final destination. But traveling is the most fun...experiencing is after all what creates the memories.

1 comment:

Megan Reyes said...

Oh wow, this is exactly where I'm at right now in life. Everything's changing but I'm finally realizing that life can be so beautiful when things don't go according to plan!