Monday, February 11, 2008

A Bucket List...well kinda..

I was talking with a good friend tonight and I have established that while my life has been fairly entertaining and full of fun memories and excitement there are so many things that I have yet to do. As I round out my undergraduate education I realize that my dedication to both working and studying has fufilled a huge part of who I am...but has also left a void.

What type of void you might ask? Its hard to explain. I can't discount my choices in life and I'm very proud of the accomplishments that I've made and the experiences that I have lived through and learned from...but I am 23 years old and some times I feel as though my focus is on 10 years from now instead of RIGHT NOW...here...the PRESENT...today...If I'm not paying bills and freaking out about ruining my credit forever or working my butt off to get an A in every single college course that I'm enrolled in, or working out to make sure that I don't become grossley obese...AHHHHHHHH....it's all pointless. Why do I take life so seriously....like it might end if I'm not anal about all the little details. What if the dishes sit in the sink for 48 hours? What if someone sees my dirtly laundry on the floor? Will tomorrow still come? O.k...so lets face it these things are still important...but what about the fun stuff? Now I'm obviously being a little one-sided (there has to be a better word for this) in my observations and I've had a ton of fun in my life, many priceless memories...but my point...(yes it's taking me approx. 3 years to get to it...sorry) is that there are so many things that I have yet to experience in life! And I want to EXPERIENCE LIFE!!!

So my conclusion is that I need to have goals outside of my career and education for my future...so here's a start:

Thing to do this year:
*Go to the Denver Zoo/Aquariam/Art Museum
*Visit Rocky Mountain National Park
*Serve at Camp Barnabas
*Go Wakeboarding/waterskiing this summer
*Have a movie day...all day....just watch movies and veg with my friends.
*Go to a concert (Fronteir Days Steven???)

Things to do before I die...
*Go on an African Saffari
*Visit all 7 Contienents
*Swim with the Dolphins
*Sky Dive....(biting nails in terror...I will enjoy every moment save the one that requires me stepping away from the plane lol =)

O.k...I'm running out of ideas due to the pressure of thinking in the moment, but I will try to add to the list...

2008...You haven't started off in the greatest light...but I have hope...I'm excited...Let's Dance!

1 comment:

Megan Reyes said...

Awesome blog. You've inspired me to make my own bucket list!

You reminded me this really great book, "Through Painted Deserts," by Donald Miller. It’s an amazing book that is all about a guy who takes a road trip to discover all that God has for him. Read it! Anyway, I wanted to share some of his writings with you:

“I could not have known then that everybody, every person, has to leave, has to change like the seasons; they have to or they die. The seasons remind me that I must keep changing, and I want to change because it is God’s way… No, life cannot be understood on a flat page. It has to be lived; a person has to get out of his head, has to fall in love, has to memorize poems, has to jump off bridges into rivers, has to stand in an empty desert and whisper sonnets under his breath…”

I love it! I applaud you in your quest to live life in all of the fullness that God intended!